Bridge’s family tree
| Edward Bridges
Born, abt 1732
Married, abt 1757
Born 1 Januray 1647
Died 11 November 1688
Born, 31 January 1612
Married, 30 June 1635
Died, 9 August 1670
Born, abt 1614
Married, 19 June 1635
Died, 8 August 1657
Died 6 October 1726
Born, abt 1689
Married, abt 1710
Born abt 1661
Died 1 Nov 1740
Died, 24 Dec 1726
Edward Bridges (1732-1765)
Their children were:
- John Bridges (see below), Born 1759, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England, Married Elizabeth Denne (b 1763, d 1841) 1789 Monkton, Kent, England, Died 1823.
- Elizabeth Bridges christened 1761, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England
- Anne Bridges, christened 1763 St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England
- Son Bridges, christened 1764, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England
- Mary Bridges, christened 1766, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England, Died 1769
- Edward Bridges, christened 1766, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England, Died 25 April 1789
John Bridges & Elizabeth Denne
John Thomas Bridges, christened 1805, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England, Married Harriet Elizabeth Affleck, 23 April 1829, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England, Died 10 May 1853. They had issue of Robert Seymour Bridges and John Affleck Bridges (both below).
Above: Plaque at St. Nicholas of Wade
Robert Seymour Bridges, Born 23 October 1844, Married Mary Monica Waterhouse, Died 21 April 1930.
A poet noted for his technical mastery of prosody and for his sponsorship of the poetry of his friend Gerard Manley Hopkins. Born of a prosperous landed family, Bridges went to Eton College and then to Corpus Christi College, Oxford, where he met Hopkins. His edition of Hopkins’ poetry that appeared in 1916 rescued it from obscurity. From 1869 until 1882 Bridges worked as a medical student and physician in London hospitals. In 1884 he married Mary Monica Waterhouse, and he spent the rest of his life in virtually unbroken domestic seclusion, first at Yattendon, Berkshire, then at Boar’s Hill, devoting himself almost religiously to poetry, contemplation, and the study of prosody. Although he published several long poems and poetic dramas, his reputation rests upon the lyrics collected in Shorter Poems (1890, 1894). New Verse (1925) contains experiments using a metre based on syllables rather than accents. He used this form for his long philosophical poem The Testament of Beauty, published on his 85th birthday. Bridges was poet laureate from 1913 until his death.
Above / Right: Robert Seymour Bridges
Top right, the plaque at St, Nicholas of Wade
John Affleck Bridges, Born 11 September 1831, Married Henrietta, Died 11 June 1924.
Edward Bridges (1685-1759)
Christened, 19 November 1685, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England
Married, abt 1710, Elizabeth Wood, Richborough, Kent, England
Died, 26 July 1759
There chirdern were:
- Ezekiel Bridges, christened abt 1714, St Nicholas Wade, Kent
- Thomas Bridges, christened abt 1716, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, Died 1777
- Elizabeth Bridges, christened abt 1718, St Nicholas Wade, Kent
- Mary Bridges, christened abt 1720, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, died 30 December 1735.
- Sarah Bridges, christened May 1723, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, died 4 March 1726.
- Edward Bridges, christened abt 1732, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, Died 1765
Edward Bridges (1647-1688 )
Born, 1 January 1647
Christened, 24 January 1647, Harbledown, Kent, England
- Elizabeth Cramp, abt 1672
- Margaret Kennet, abt 1676
Died, 11 November 1688
Children of Edward Bridges (1647-1688) and Margaret Kennet
- Elizabeth Bridges, christened abt 1677, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England
- Robert Bridges, christened, 1680. Christened 3 March 1680, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England. Died 14 October 1737.
- Edward Bridges, christened 1685. Christened 19 November 1685, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England. Died 26 July 1759
- John Bridges, christened 1687. Christened 27 December 1687, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England. Died 4 August 1708.
Thomas Bridges (1612-1670)
Christened 31 January 1612, St Michael, Harbledown, Kent
Married, Elizabeth Hart, 30 June 1635, Harbledown, Kent
Died 9 August 1670, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England.
Elizabeth Hart (1614-1657)
Born, abt 1614, Chartham, Kent
Married 19 June 1635 – as above
Died 8 August 1657, buried at Harbledown, Kent.
- John Bridges, Christened 5 June 1636, Harbledown, Kent, Died before 27 September 1697 and buried in the Churchyard, Feversham, Kent.
- Mary Bridges, Christened 1 April 1638 and died 4 December 1639, Harbledown, Kent.
- Thomas Bridges,(see below) Christened 13 Septmber 1640, Harbledown, Kent, Married a Joane (surname unknown) about 1664, Died 27 Januray 1696 and buried at St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England.
- Robert Bridges, Christened 11 August 1643, Harbledown, Kent and died 9 July 1657
- Elizabeth Bridges, Christened 12 October 1645
- Edward Bridges Born 1 Januray 1647
- Anne Bridges, Christened 19 February 1649, Harbledown, Kent
- Ezekiel Bridges, Christened 30 December 1651, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England
- Mary Bridges, Christened 19 July 1654, Harbledown, Kent
Additional infomation for Thomas & Joane Bridges:
- Elizabeth Bridges, born abt 1665 St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England, and married Michael Wood. Their daughter Elizabeth Wood married Edward Bridges (first cousin).
- John Bridges, Born abt 1667 St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England. Died 1704.
- Mary Bridges, Born abt 1669, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England.
- Thomas Bridges, born abt 1671 St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England.
- Ezekiel Bridges, Born abt 1673, St Nicholas Wade, Kent, England.